#947 Meters documentation

Coen Hoogervorst Tue 21 Sep 2021

Hi All,

Since I can not find any recent topic on energy meters, I created a new topic on the forum because I have 2 questions based on the documentation (vertical) on energy meters:

1. In the documentation first a clear distinction is made between ac/dc elec and flow meters. Then later on in the documentation the distinction is made between Flow Meters and Thermal Meters. There is described that: If a meter measures flow/volume then add the flow tag. If the meter measures power/energy then add the thermal tag. This suggest that this is a choice, either you add a flow or a thermal tag. But when I look at the proto I then see both thermal and flow applied. What is the way to go here and can this be specified more clear in the docs?
    1. only thermal and not flow for thermal meters?
    2. both thermal and flow for thermal meters?
    3. only both thermal and flow for thermal meters which also have water flow and temperature points nested?
  2. In the example model I see that the point record of the elec energy meter equips do not have the elec tag. This is also confusing because by my knowledge these should als be on the point records. This is confirmed by most proto's, example. If I am correct, can these tags be added to the documentation?

The reason I am asking this is that in my experience the verticals are used a lot by people trying to start working with haystack. It would save us a lot of rework when stuff is implemented the 1st time right; this will be much more often the case if the documentation is 100% clear.

Brian Frank Tue 21 Sep 2021

If a meter measures flow/volume then add the flow tag. If the meter measures power/energy then add the thermal tag.

The intention is that if your meter has flow points then you add a flow tag. If you have power/energy points then you add thermal tag. So you can use one or the other, or both based on how your meter actually works.

In the example model I see that the point record of the elec energy meter equips do not have the elec tag.

Do you mean this snippet of example?

id:@A, dis: "Main Elec Meter", ac, elec, meter, siteMeter, equip
     dis: "Main Elec Meter Demand", equipRef @A, power, unit:"kW", sensor, point, ...
     dis: "Main Elec Meter Consumption", equipRef:@A, energy, unit:"kWh", sensor, point, ...

Coen Hoogervorst Thu 23 Sep 2021

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your repsonse.

1. Would it then be good to add the thermal meter as a subType to the meter definition?
  2. I indeed meant that example you mentioned. Adding the elec tag to the point definitions would prevent people from misunderstanding the example.

Brian Frank Fri 24 Sep 2021

indeed meant that example you mentioned. Adding the elec tag to the point definitions would prevent people from misunderstanding the example.

agree, I added that

Would it then be good to add the thermal meter as a subType to the meter definition

After discussion with several people this is how we left it. That flow-meter is a first class conjunct. But thermal is just a marker tag to add. The thinking was that the primary concept is flow meter (of which thermal meters are just one aspect of some flow meters).

Login or Signup to reply.