#786 Differentiating between tags and the metadata that defines them

Jon Schoenfeld Fri 7 Feb 2020

I have been having several conversations recently where I am explaining the Haystack 4 methodology and how to apply it correctly. One issue that seems to come up again and again, is the difference between a tag that is applied to an equip or a point that is being modeled, and a tag that is a part of the metadata which defines a specific tag. Let me explain with an example:

The tag ahu has several metadata tags associated with it, including:

ahuZoneDelivery: ahuZoneDeliveryType

ventilates: air

These two are grouped together in the documentation as meta, but they are very different.

If I am modeling an ahu, I would not add an ahuZoneDelvery or ventilates tag, but I may add a directZone tag, which is a subtype of ahuZoneDeliveryType.

I can explain this, but what would make it easier is if there was a distinction made between metadata that defines a tag, ie ventilates and ahuZoneDelivery, and tags that are applied to an entity being modeled, ie directZone.

I believe this differentiation would go a long way in making the Haystack 4.0 documentation more user friendly and easier to apply.

Thanks, Jon

Brian Frank Fri 7 Feb 2020

The distinction is that choices subtype from choice and the choice options subtype from marker. So its all based on looking at the super types. Not that we couldn't try to show that more clearly in the documentation, but that is the key thing to look at.

Login or Signup to reply.