#581 US Centric

Kevin Noon Wed 7 Feb 2018

Hi,

I am increasing using Haystack tags with Skyspark and finding the Tags to US Centric. For example in the UK we us Supply and Extract for air systems. I am sure there are others, but the lack of these 2 does cause a number of issues, as we do not engineer the systems. We are a company that applies analytics to systems that have been already installed. Can more tags be added ASAP to conform to UK standards. I have not stated Europe as they will require their translation.

Regards

Kevin

Brian Frank Wed 7 Feb 2018

If are are talking about AHUs, the term "supply" is used in the US too, much more often than "discharge". But the goal of Haystack is to define unambiguous tags as ontology keys. For many reasons the tag name discharge was chosen, and the expectation is that is the universal key to identify points associated with the discharge/supply duct. Creating aliases for the same concept defeats the purpose of defining an reusable semantic ontology based on tag names.

But those are ontology keys, how you expose them to SIs, end users, etc is really an implementation detail. For example the keys are defined using English terms, but there might be a layer above that for a product in France that provides a French translation (you can see the translations available done by people in the community in Downloads tab)

Kevin Noon Wed 7 Feb 2018

Many thanks for the feedback. Yes AHU's was one of the plant items was thinking about. I would be interested here all the reasons why discharge was chosen. I am a big fan standards having worked in the industry over 25 years and finding that over 90% of large sites are programed with very little uniformity. Which frustrates me no end. The main excuse being lack of time and money. I have proven numerous times that following standards on large projects saves time and money, also aids in reducing future maintenance costs. PS I apply the same rules to small projects.

Brian Frank Thu 8 Feb 2018

I would be interested here all the reasons why discharge was chosen.

Largely because what supply means is specific to the type of equipment - it could me leaving or entering.

We did the same thing with water/steam systems using the tags leaving and entering (even though most people seem to use the term supply in those cases too).

So while the goal is to pick tag names which are a "term of art", sometimes we choose names to allow for a more precise ontology and that can reused across different equip systems

Login or Signup to reply.