#441 Integration of N4 and nhaystack tagging

cathy voll Tue 20 Sep 2016

It appears to me as though nhaystack tagging is not at all integrated with n4 tagging.

An n4 tag search using the haystack namespace will only find tags added using n4, it will not find tags on the nhaystack slot.

I assume that the skyspark connector will only see tags on the nhaystack slot and not ones created using N4 tag edditing.

Am I correct in this?

Does this mean that if you want to use tagging info both within n4 and in skyspark that you would have to tag everything twice?

Christian Tremblay Tue 20 Sep 2016

Actually yes

cathy voll Wed 21 Sep 2016

Are there any plans to change this in the future? Having to tag a site twice seems like a waste of time?

Christian Tremblay Wed 21 Sep 2016

I agree

First step was to make it work on N4 Now we have to find a way to integrate NEQL and nHaystack

Richard McElhinney Thu 22 Sep 2016

Hi Cathy,

As Christian knows there is still some work to be done on the N4 nhaystack module. It was released earlier this year and to this point I've stepped back from it just a little to see what, if any, feedback we received.

I'm pleased to say that the little feedback we have received has mostly been around authentication issues with N4 and even those seem to mostly be on the Niagara side rather than in our module.

This result is definitely a testament to the hard work by Mike Jarmy and that which J2 Innovations sponsored before I took over this project.

All I had to do was test it and release it! :)

I also agree with your point of view that we need to remove this issue of having to tag a site twice. This has been a point of discussion where I work as our engineers face the same issue.

I'm hoping to meet with Tridium in the next couple of weeks and I will be discussing this exact point as I feel it's probably the most pressing issue we have with the nhaystack module, although I'm definitely open to other guidance here.

If you are able to hang on for a couple of weeks I will report back with anything of interest from my meetings and at that point I will likely post back opening up this discussion further.

I've indicated privately to Christian and a couple of others that going forward I am more than happy to receive submissions from community members for the nhaystack module and I will be putting some thought into the process for this. The main point however is that I'd like to get more people involved, with the main proviso being that we still meet that high level of quality already set by those who have maintained this project in the past.

If you have any other questions please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them in the meantime.

Cheers, Richard

cathy voll Mon 26 Sep 2016

Thanks so much for all the hard work on this great initiative and modules. As it stands now, if I have to, I'll tag twice to make use of the great features of skyspark.

Login or Signup to reply.